EESTI SUOMEKSI ENGLISH DEUTSCH
 
Estonian Manors
Welcome to Estonia
   
 
Excursion
Catering
Lodging
Conference
Banquet
Activity
Health Activity
Museum
Schoolmanor
 
Kumna / Kumna
The General’s Adjutants’ Summer Manor
Architectural style: Neoclassicism
Region: North-Estonia
County: Harjumaa
Address: Kumna küla, Harku vald, 76603
Phone: +372 6259544
Fax: +372 6259546
E-mail: info@loodustoode.ee
Homepage: www.loodustoode.ee
Show on map
Services:
Manor pattern Manor pattern
At the centre of Kumna manor we see a strange community: one-storey buildings with carvings in the Russian style, together with a classical palace with white pillars. This manor scape creates an expressive boundary between Russian and European culture that speaks of the Baltic aristocrats as individuals in their own right in the royal palaces of St Petersburg and Berlin. The new Kumna manor house was built in the first decades of the 20th century, when the Neo-Classical style was at its peak, following the passing of the Jugend style. While the Jugend Classicism style often took softer and lighter forms, as if it were healing the cold pomposity of Classicism, this manor points more to a festive style. In spite of relatively small rooms, the theatrical interiors were strived to the utmost. A new manor house, built next to the old one, wasn't so much used for living in those days as it was for holding parties, which the owners, the Meyendorffs, liked to throw for their high guests who hailed from anywhere between St Petersburg to London. From 1838 until the II World War, Kumna manor belonged to the Meyendorff family. The Meyendorffs raised high in society and enjoyed the social life in St Petersburg during the winter. Kumna was used mainly as a summer residence. The family had strong military traditions: Georg von Meyendorff was one of Czar Alexander II’s general adjutants as well as “high barn master” and four of his five sons were also generals. One of them, Teofil von Meyendorff (1853-1919), general adjutant and Knight of the Order of St. George just like his father, was the last owner of Kumna before the Estonian Republic’s land reform. Teofil's son George fought in the Baltic battalion during the Estonian War of Independence and that's why the family was allowed to keep the mansion along with the land, where the family gathered in the 1920s. During the war there was an intelligence school in the manor, then it was used by the army. Later on it stood vacant following episodes of vandalism, until the centre of the manor went into private ownership in 2000.
1*1 Background
Manor pattern Manor pattern
 
Estonian Manor Association





    BestIT OÜ